Skeeter

Skeeter.... that was a nickname for one of the characters that hung out at the bar i hung out at. He was probably one of the most popular men there. Everyone was always buying him drinks. When he walked into the bar, it was just like 'Cheers' when Norm walked in. Everyone yelled, "Skeeter!". He was my hero. i didn't really know him. i talked with him a few times. i thought someday maybe i'll have a nickname. i thought maybe someday i'll get the recognition he got.
Well at anyway, i stopped at different bars depending on what part of the city i worked in. i had not been to that bar in several weeks and so i went in. i was talking to Helen, the bar maid, and i noticed that Skeeter wasn't in. So i asked her where Skeeter was and she said, "Didn't you hear? He died." "Really? How?", i said. "They found him dead. He had a small apartment and they found him dead". i asked the guy next to me if he had heard that Skeeter died. He said, "Yeh, that was two weeks ago."

There was no memorial where his seat used to be.

i realized that the people in the bar were an illusion of friends. i refer to the guy next to me as my best friend "what's his name". He just bought me a drink. If he bought be two or three i might even remember his name. Because that would make him a very important person to me. It's really sad that Skeeter died alone. He was so popular. He was my hero. He was what i wanted to grow up to be. Not any longer.....
i am happy being Russ and i go places now where everyone knows my name. And i know theirs. And they don't even buy me a beer. And i care about them.

Sorry, Skeeter.... that you didn't find recovery. Sorry that your friends were just an illusion.


Just remember friends,
There is hope in recovery.

1 comment: