Miracle

Miracle. My whole life i just never seemed to fit in. i wasn't into sports that much. i usually had one or two friends. i just didn't get it. i was in scouts but not "in" it. i played some games on some teams. i just didn't get it. i just didn't fit. Throughout my teenage years i used alcohol from time to time. And i got drunk from time to time. But the miracle never happened. It never fixed what was wrong inside.

One day my co-workers talked me into stopping in at a tavern for a couple beers after work and i had no idea how that evening ended. i know the next morning i had a hang-over from hell. But i went to work. My father had taught me never to stay home because you were drinking. "Your mother won't understand." i swore i'd never do that again. But by 2 or 3 in the afternnoon, i was feeling much better. So i agreed to stop again. And this time i wasn't going to do the stupid. i was just going to have 2 or 3 drinks and leave. i walked thru those tavern doors and the bartender says, "Hey, Russ, care for a beer?". For the first time in my life i was somebody. Somebody remembered my name. i felt important. i was in the middle of the road. i knew where i was on this planet. That was the day the miracle happened. And that was before i even had a drink that day.

So when i talk about,"This is not a drinking disease. It's a thinking disease." That is what i mean. i had no idea how that night ended either. Cause when i drank.... i drank. i don't stop. i never had all i wanted and i always had more than i should have. The rest of my drinking career i tried to capture that feeling again.... that wonderous feeling of fitting in. i may have even gotten to it from time to time but i went by it so damn fast that i don't recall getting there. It's like shooting a game of pool. i couldn't shoot if i was stone sober and i couldn't shoot if i was drunk. But there was a magic moment in there, 3 or 4 beers, where i could hit every shot. The problem is that it would never last the whole game because i would always ask " just give me one more". And then it was all over.

2 comments:

  1. That's all I ever needed--one more! Of anything, food, sex, wives, hidden bottles of booze. I buy a pair of shoes I like, and then--for no reason--I ask for another pair, same color, same everything..."just one more."

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no reason to succumb to alcoholism. Every person is capable to making the decision that life is worth living. No need to be held back by a "disease".

    ReplyDelete